US gamers spent $5 billion on mobile puzzle games over 12 months, with Candy Crush Saga holding the crown
Mobile puzzle games have generated $5 billion in the United States in the past year, according to a new Sensor Tower report. Analysts also shared data on the top-grossing stocks and their installs.
Key points to remember
- Overall, player spending on mobile puzzle games between April 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022 increased 4.2% year over year.
- Kings Candy Crush Saga was the highest-grossing puzzle title in the United States during this period, with $845.5 million in revenue. It is followed by Playrix’s Homescapes and another king’s game, Candy Crush Soda Saga.
- The Classic Match-3 subgenre was the main driver of growth for puzzle games, generating $1.6 billion year-over-year. It is up 12.3% over one year.
- Mobile puzzle titles generated 554 million downloads in the US, down 20% year-over-year.
- According to Sensor Tower, this decrease follows an increase in installations that occurred during the pandemic and closings over the past year.
- Project makeover was the most downloaded puzzle game during this period, generating around 14.5 million installs. It is followed by Wordscapes and Candy Crush Saga.
- Interestingly, Lion Studios wordle became the most downloaded mobile title in the United States in the first quarter of 2021, with 9 million installs.
- Although this game has nothing to do with the web game, which went viral earlier this yearit owes its success to Josh Wardle’s hit.
The full report is available here.