Mobile money transactions in Nigeria grew over 3000% in first four months of 2022 – report

According to data provided by the Nigeria Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS), the number of telecom subscribers in the country recorded a jump of 13.98% to (201.31 million) in the corresponding month of 2022 from (176 .62 million) in April 2019. Similarly, the report noted that mobile devices were the driver of payment in 2020, accounting for 43% of total transactions in 2020, with 35% of transactions conducted via USSD and 78% of total transfer transactions.

The perceived growth in mobile money transaction volume in Nigeria has also boosted the adoption of instant payment. According to the NIBSS, data from the Cross-Plan Mobile Portal showed a significant increase in the value of mobile transactions started during the pandemic, which is consistent with its report “Instant Payments – Annual Statistics 2020”. PUNCH reported.

“The cross-system mobile transaction portal showed that usage increased by 3,406.95%, from 4.36 million times to 152.99 million times,” the report said.

Nigeria and other countries in sub-Saharan Africa accounted for the largest share of mobile money transactions last year, with $490 billion processed. According to the GSMA’s State of the Mobile Money Industry Report, Sub-Saharan Africa has continued to lead the rest of the world in mobile money transactions due to increased investment by mobile operators. telecommunications in the digital banking segment.

Casey J. Nelson